Michael (aka Lonewalker) ...

    follow me on Twitter

    Thursday, September 07, 2006

    High Speed

    W00t!

    As of this moment, Kate and I are part of the high speed collective! We've been plodding along with dial-up for a while now as we weren't sure if the cost of upgrading was worth it or not. Plus, since we're at work most of our time, we just use the LAN connection there.

    Well, with Kate about to start work as an online tutor with the Sylvan Learning Center, we needed to make the investment. We did a little checking around and found a good deal that we could do through Qwest if we bundled service in with our local phone package.

    The set-up was cake. All the equipment showed up today - Kate and I had decided on the more expensive high speed modem that had wireless capability built it. I just popped the CD into the main computer and installed everything we needed. Then I popped another CD into the laptops and boom! We have wireless access!

    Don't get me wrong - I never had any issues with Prodigy/SBCYahoo or its services. (And I highly recommend them for anyone looking into simple dial-up service.) But it sure is nice to have the fast wireless connection and the knowledge that it's also secure. (I'll be doing some work on all three computers to lock the wireless access down pretty tight.)

    I also need to go through my current e-mail account (which is through SBCYahoo) and archive all my saved messages. I'll also need to be making some changes to the links to my photos online. Not a big deal - but it'll involve a bit of work.

    Beyond that, we both busy with either work or school - or both! 'Nuff said. :-)

    Thanks for reading. I'll try to post more sometime soon. Have yourself a great day.

    No comments: