Michael (aka Lonewalker) ...

    follow me on Twitter

    Wednesday, September 13, 2006

    Academic Bodyslam

    I just finished with my first exam of the semester. And now all I have are three more exams all next week. Ack! There goes my weekend. :-)

    Here's how my semester is playing out...

    BD350 - Telecommunications and Networking
    I'm learning all about network communications concepts. There's even a semester project that involves setting up an actual server. The next couple of weeks look like they're going to involve a lot of Linux work. Cool.

    BD355 - Business Database Systems
    How do design and build a working database and all the considerations and nuances that one must be conerned about. It focuses mostly on Microsoft Access but the conceptual stuff is applicable for all database providers. There's a semester-long team project where we are designed an intended-for-real-use Access database for a local non-profit organization.

    CS270 - Computer Organization
    This class deals with the nitty-gritty details of what makes a computer work. We've worked through numbering systems and logic circuits (ugh - electrical engineering flashbacks) but toward the mid-semester, we'll be delving into some assembly language programming as well. This is unfortunately the class I'm struggling with the most.

    AT350 - Intro to Weather and Climate
    My 'fluff' class. I still needed 2 credit hours of science classes to meet my university requirements so my advisor suggested this one. The class talks about all the factors that influence our planet's weather. It's pretty intereting stuff!

    With all the reading, studying, and homework I've been getting hit with, my free time (such as it was) is getting slammed into a pulp. :-)

    I guess that's the cost of stretching the old brain muscles.

    Thought I'd share. Thanks for reading and hope you're having a good day.

    1 comment:

    MangyCat said...

    Sounds just...er...thoroughly...exciting. *blinks* ;o)

    Can't wait to see you guys this weekend!