Michael (aka Lonewalker) ...

    follow me on Twitter

    Saturday, March 07, 2009

    Council Tree Library

    I got my second sneak-peek at the new branch library in Fort Collins, dubbed the Council Tree branch, yesterday when Kate arranged for me to volunteer to help out with some of the final preparations.

    Originally, I was assuming that I'd get to un-box new books and put them onto the shelves, but the current crew out there is just too darn efficient ... and most of that work was already done. But I was still able to help do some searching for missing materials following their recent inventory. But for the most part I was just glad to have an early chance to see the layout. :-)

    This is a picture of the outside. It's actually two buildings, with the library on the right side of the picture.



    And here's a shot from a little closer up.



    This is the main entrance to the library, along with a picture of the symbol-shaped bike racks and a few shots of the entrance stairwell and the decorations therein.







    Here are a couple of early interior pictures while the place was still under construction. That's Kate there in the longcoat.




    And now some pictures of the current look:








    Pretty cool, huh? The whole library is just packed with shiny new books fresh from the distributor. Council Tree is stocked with the latest releases and most popular titles - materials that are expected to move quickly. I have to say - it was almost tortuous to walk around the library, see all these beautiful books, and not be able to check any of them out! Only a couple more weeks, I keep telling myself. :-)

    Now, some specifics...

    This is the office that Kate will be sharing with Chris, the supervisor for circulation at Council Tree.



    This is the sitting area located in the adult nonfiction section. Yes, that's a real fireplace. Kate says it should get right toasty in this area when that thing starts up.



    These are the decorations hanging from the ceiling along the main walkway of the library. My first thought was "cheese?" (And I wasn't the only one.) But apparently that offended the designers, who claimed these were supposed to represent peaceful clouds. Then why are they yellow, ask I? :-)



    The future public computer section for the Children's Area.



    One of the study rooms near the Adult Nonfiction section.



    And a few of the crazy chairs and tables in the library. Very trendy, eh?






    And, a shot of the view out the back windows, showing the shopping area that will hopefully be filled in short order.



    This library is looking very 'hip' and 'trendy.' It's certainly not your grandpa's library. It's very bright and very modern with colorful decor and very non-traditional furniture and shelving. If you're looking for a library with tall shelves filled with dusty old tomes ... then don't go to this library. If you want new and flash ... then you're in the right place. :-)

    I personally think it's a cool looking library, and it's going to be very popular with the citizens on the southeast side of Fort Collins.

    As always, thanks for stopping in to read. I hope you're having a great day!

    1 comment:

    MangyCat said...

    Wow--fancy schmancy! That library rocks. I bet they will get a lot of people who come and hang out just to be in that atmosphere. I know I would! (Even if it does have cheddar-flavored clouds.)

    Put a trip to Council Tree on the list of to-dos for our next visit!