Michael (aka Lonewalker) ...

    follow me on Twitter

    Thursday, September 15, 2005

    Thirty-Two Days and Counting

    It recently dawned on me and Kate that we could pick up our marriage license anytime after tomorrow (Friday)! They say the license is only good for about 30 days and we're coming up on thirty days before the wedding! Yeek!

    We had also sat down to plan our menu for the next few weeks and realized that the week before the wedding actually fell into our meal plans. Wow, it's almost time!

    We haven't started panicking yet but we are starting to feel the "crunch" as we calculate how much we still need to get done versus how much free time it looks like we're going to have. I expect some bouts of insanity ANY time now. ;-)

    Updates:

    On Friday August 26th, my boss in Circulation organized a get-together and pot-luck called NewWedFest for me and Kate as well as two other couples who were married earlier in the summer. It was a relaxed and enjoyable evening with lots of yummy food. Some folks even got us presents!! It was nice to just sit and chat with our co-workers without having to worry about actually getting some work done. :-)

    I took a few random pictures of the event, which you can look at my clicking here.

    Kate has a shower planned for Sunday the 25th. It wasn't her idea, of course; if she had her way, she wouldn't have any bridal parties at all! ;-) But Betsy insisted and went ahead and invited a number of lady-friends around town. Betsy even sent invites to my sister and my mother. My mom and dad are definitely coming up. Since it's a "girls-only" shindig, I guess I'll have to keep my dad occupied. Maybe I can con him into helping me with some minor house repairs I've been putting off around the place... ;-)

    Kate was also informed that she's to attend a lunch with her co-workers in Loveland in celebration of her upcoming marriage. She complained to me that she going to be over-socialized well before the wedding!

    Let's see, how about some rapid-fire updates as to what we've been doing:

    1. We talked with Lopiano's regarding the final details with the reception catering. It sounds like they'll handle most of the setup and cleanup. They'll serve the food and pack it away when we're done. They'll even bring out the ice cream cakes and do the cutting and serving for us. They'll even take care of dishes. Yay! We need to check in with them in early October with the final head count.

    2. Response cards have already started coming in. Not as many family and friends will be attending as we originally thought but everyone's sending their well wishes. We ought to still have a nice turnout.

    3. We started looking through the Bible readings for the ceremony. Hopefully, we'll get a few picked out in the next few days. Then we can talk with Father Larry at SEAS Parish for the final details.

    4. We ordered a unity candle set from the Abbey of St. Walburga, though I haven't heard back from them yet. Might have to give them a call here soon.

    5. Our wedding rings are engraved and ready!

    6. We've started hitting up our friends and family for party games that we can borrow for the reception. Kate's folks already handed off two boxes of games for us. I'll need to check with my family too.

    7. My aunt Karen sent me a copy of my grandmother's fudge recipe. Kate and I are going to use to make wedding favors for the wedding.

    8. Tammy and Kate got together to do work on Kate's wedding veil. This was an unknown and mysterious event since I wasn't there, but I assume things went well.

    9. We bought a number of disposible cameras from ShopKo (which was having a going-out-of-business sale).

    10. We posted a general invitation and announcement to the staff at the Fort Collins library. I've only gotten two responses so far so I might send out a reminder in case folks just haven't noticed the posting. Surely there's nothing they'd rather do on a Sunday night than watch me and Kate get hitched! ;-)

    So here we are in the home stretch (so to speak) but not quite to crunch time. Stay tuned, true believers...

    2 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    Getting close to your wedding, I'm happy :)

    Enjoyed the slide show!

    Thanks, Mom.

    MangyCat said...

    Woo hoo! I am so excited for you guys to get hitched! Sounds like everything is coming together for you. Sorry I won't be able to make it for the bridal shower though. :(