Michael (aka Lonewalker) ...

    follow me on Twitter

    Monday, July 05, 2010

    In Memorium - Chiral

    This is dedicated to Chiral - a beloved member of our family - who has had to leave us far too soon.



    After much soul-searching, Kate and I made the decision to let Chiral go rather than see her suffer any longer. She had not been interested in food or water for almost a week. She was lethargic and weak, spending the weekend lying very still and rarely moving more than a couple feet at a time. She was virtually unresponsive when we said her name or even touched her - we got at most a twitch of the tail or a flick of her ears.

    When we took her in to our vet yesterday, she told us that Chiral was holding herself very tensely and her breathing was unnaturally heavy. These were indications that Chiral was in far more pain than the vet had expected. And if she was hurting too much to eat or drink or use the litter box, than it was looking like a short, painful few days left to her.

    Anyone who knew Chiral would know that she was a fantastically energetic and socializing cat. She was quick to greet people and always talked back when you spoke her name or just talked in her general direction. So to see her like this broke our hearts. We didn't want to let her go, but we couldn't let her suffer like she was.

    After it was done, we buried Chiral in a shady spot at a nearby natural area called Prospect Ponds. Though we kept her an exclusively indoor cat, Chiral loved the outdoors. So we thought she might enjoy resting in a beautiful setting like this, under the trees, beneath the overgrowth, and next to a burbling stream. It felt right to us.

    This loss has been very, very hard on both me and Kate. Little things trigger memories and I find myself breaking into tears. Even looking through the pictures I'm posting below are enough to make me have to fight against falling apart. Chiral was just a loving, lively animal - it hurts to think that she won't be a part of our lives anymore.

    I want very much to hold her once more. I want to hear her whine for her dinner and pounce on the bed in the morning for breakfast. I want her to try chewing on my shirt buttons and thrust her nose into my face. I want her to jump on my shoulders or clonk her knees as she chases Rune up the stairs. I want to see her curled up on her scratching tower or on the rocking chair. I want to see her share her boundless love with our friends and family...and I wanted to see Tessa grow up with Chiral as a companion.

    But I know that we made the right decision. With the pain that Chiral was in, she wouldn't have been the same cat even if we had kept her with us. It would have just led to a long, agonizing ordeal as we watched her fade away by degrees. Sometimes I feel like I was selfish, wanting to spare myself the pain of seeing her in that state, but she must be happier now, her spirit free to play wherever she wishes.

    And God willing, she'll be standing on the shoulders of St. Peter when we arrive in Heaven.

    I'd like to share some memories of our friend Chiral...
























    I want to thank all the friends and family who have given us their heartfelt sympathies and prayers during this time of loss. It's your love and support that helps us keep going.

    Good bye, sweet girl. Thank you for all the years of joy and affection and companionship that you gave us. We love you so much and we are going to miss you forever. Rest in peace.

    No comments: