Michael (aka Lonewalker) ...

    follow me on Twitter

    Monday, June 05, 2006

    Looks Like It's June

    Summer is here in force. It's been getting steadily hotter each day in the last couple weeks. The nights haven't been too bad - drops down to almost fifty or so sometimes. And we've had a bit of cloud cover now and again to help things out.

    Did I mention that I hate the heat? :-) I'm just gritting my teeth and getting ready to endure the next couple months.

    Cute happy thing from yesterday. About five in the morning between Saturday and Sunday, Kate and I were awakened by a cat yowling outside. At first, we thought maybe one of our girls got out, since the yowl sounded awfully similar to Chiral's. But, no, both our felines were accounted for. We tried to ignore it, but I got twitchy, worried that there might be an injured critter outside. So I went out to check. I find a lovely cream/orange cat nearby crying her little heart out. She was very friendly and came up to me after only a moment's hesitation. She had a collar with tags (her name was "Eyla" or similar) so I knew she belonged to someone. I debated with myself as whether to leave her outside or bring her in and finally decided to bring her in. We kept her locked up in the downstairs bathroom until the morning when I tried calling the number on her tag. The guy on the other line said they didn't own a cat. Well, darn. Kate and I toyed briefly with the idea of adopting her ourselves but knew we couldn't manage another cat right now (with vet bills and so forth). So we decided that we'd take her to the Humane Society after church. When we got back from church though, I heard our neighbor outside calling the cat's name. Eagerly, I ran outside and asked if she was looking for a pretty cream/orange cat. They were and sure enough, the furball belonged to her! Yay! Kate and I felt glad that we didn't need to take the poor thing to the shelter. In fact, our neighbor was so grateful that she left us a thank-you-card on our front doorstep. How nice!

    This reminded me that I promised Bill and Tammy (who run the Homeowner's Association for my area) that I'd organize a neighborhood barbeque and pot-luck to help get to know some of our neighbors. Some of these people I've lived next to for years but don't even know their names. My mother organizes these sorts of gatherings for the neighborhood where she and my Dad live so why can't I do the same? The HOA even offered to help with the cash needed for BBQ meat and such, which is totally cool. I'll probably need to get going on that here in the next couple of weeks.

    I think I'll leave off there. There's some more stuff I could write about, but work is over and it's time to walk home. That's right. In an effort to both save on gas and get more exercise, I'm trying taking the bus to work in the morning and walking home at night. It's about two and a half to three miles distance but Kate's done it many times before so I figure I can too. In fact, Kate plans on meeting me halfway - that way she gets a nice walk in the bargain as well!

    I've never been the most physical type so wish me luck. ;-)

    Thanks for reading. Hope you're having a great day.

    1 comment:

    Anonymous said...

    The lost cat's name was "Eyva." Just for accuracy's sake. :-)

    - Mike